McPherson Industrial Development Company (MIDC) was incorporated in 1959 by a group of civic minded McPherson business men. These visionaries realized that McPherson and McPherson County could not rely strictly on agriculture and the oil industry to sustain and grow the area’s economy. The group incorporated as a for-profit company and raised capital for an industrial development fund by selling stocks at $100 a share. The officers and board of directors continue to be unpaid positions, leaving more funds to the development of industry.
The community rallied, a typical act in McPherson County, and sold enough shares to purchase a piece of agricultural property and developed McPherson’s first Industrial Park to be sold at no profit. Using this model as a template, McPherson has developed five additional industrial parks since that time.
The community is fortunate to have fantastic partner relationships between the City of McPherson, McPherson County and the Board of Public Utilities. MIDC operates as the development and expansion agent for the City of McPherson.